Striving to be a more effective and prepared servant
From early on in life my desire has been to follow God and serve Him in any capacity that was available to me. My grandparents, who actively involved me in the spiritual life of our family, raised me in a Christian household.
I accepted Christ as my personal savior when I was nine years old. As a teenager I felt a strong, consuming desire to do more with my life, especially as it related to life within the local church. After much prayer and spiritual counseling, I answered the call to preach when I was 16 and delivered my first sermon when I was 17, becoming the fourth generation of pastors/ministers in my family. Eventually, my responsibilities within the local church increased. I have served as Youth Minister, Associate Minister, Assistant Pastor, Interim Pastor, and Senior Pastor in churches in Missouri and Texas.
Central Baptist Theological Seminary has been offering courses at its Tennessee site since 2006.
In 2013 CBTS in Tennessee moved its location from First Baptist Church of Murfreesboro to the campus of Scarritt-Bennett in the heart of Nashville.
Offering affordable and accessible theological education for the 21st century
• Students may complete either the Master of Divinity or Diploma in Theology.
• Classes are taught in a weekend format at Scarritt-Bennett Center by Shawnee faculty and local adjunct faculty.
• Online courses are also available to students.
• Scholarships and financial aid are available.
• Lifelong learners are welcome.
• Spiritual formation is a key part of the theological education of students.
• Baptist by tradition but ecumenical in spirit.
• Both programs are fully accredited by the Association of Theological Schools, the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central. Association of Colleges and Schools,and the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.
Dr. Sally Holt, who has been teaching for Central in Tennessee on a regular basis since fall 2007, was named the Central in Tennessee site coordinator during the summer of 2012.
She is an associate professor of Christian Ethics at Belmont University and has taught there since 2008. Previously, she was an associate professor of religion at William Jewell College near Kansas City, MO.
Dr. Holt’s undergraduate degree is a B.A. in religion and in psychology from William Jewell College. She received her Master of Divinity degree from Southern Seminary in Louisville, KY and her Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Ethics and Society from Vanderbilt University in Nashville.
Spring 2014 Course Offerings
Formation for Christian Mnistry
The Practice of Preaching
For information and academic advisement, please contact:
Sally Holt, Ph.D.