Pastor Antoine Lee of Central Christian Church in Kansas City was eager to complete seminary, but work, family – and cost – made a Master of Divinity degree program seem unobtainable, until Rev. Debra Sermons, Central's Director of Recruitment, told him about the create program and the thoughtful planning that goes into each individual's schedule.
The create program is fully scholarshiped, schedules are designed for busy people, and classes are offered in Kansas City's urban core. “It was like they met all my needs before knowing my personal situation!” says Antoine. “I express sincere gratitude for everyone who was involved in making it possible for me to continue my education. Thank you!”
Central Baptist Theological Seminary has been offering courses at its Tennessee site since 2006.
In 2013 CBTS in Tennessee moved its location from First Baptist Church of Murfreesboro to the campus of Scarritt-Bennett in the heart of Nashville.
Offering affordable and accessible theological education for the 21st century
• Students may complete either the Master of Divinity or Diploma in Theology.
• Classes are taught in a weekend format at Scarritt-Bennett Center by Shawnee faculty and local adjunct faculty.
• Online courses are also available to students.
• Scholarships and financial aid are available.
• Lifelong learners are welcome.
• Spiritual formation is a key part of the theological education of students.
• Baptist by tradition but ecumenical in spirit.
• Both programs are fully accredited by the Association of Theological Schools, the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central. Association of Colleges and Schools,and the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.
Dr. Sally Holt, who has been teaching for Central in Tennessee on a regular basis since fall 2007, was named the Central in Tennessee site coordinator during the summer of 2012.
She is an associate professor of Christian Ethics at Belmont University and has taught there since 2008. Previously, she was an associate professor of religion at William Jewell College near Kansas City, MO.
Dr. Holt’s undergraduate degree is a B.A. in religion and in psychology from William Jewell College. She received her Master of Divinity degree from Southern Seminary in Louisville, KY and her Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Ethics and Society from Vanderbilt University in Nashville.
Spring 2014 Course Offerings
Formation for Christian Mnistry
The Practice of Preaching
For information and academic advisement, please contact:
Sally Holt, Ph.D.