International Students

Central Seminary has a long and rich history of educating persons from all over the world. Our international students enrich our learning community with compelling stories of faith and leadership.

Information and Resources for International Students (F-1 Visa)

Welcome to the Central’s International Students page.  Here, you will find forms, links, and information to guide and advise you during your studies at Central.

NOTE: All forms and documents can be submitted to the International Student Office by using the contact form below.

Important Forms

Here are some online forms for our current F-1 VISA Students:

Current students can also find many more forms related to enrollment status in the Populi student information system.

Maintaining Your Status

About the I-20 document

The I-20 is a US government document that verifies your status as a student at a school in the US. It must be updated anytime there are changes to your information and enrollment status. The I-20 is required for visa appointment and should be kept with the student at all times.

  • I-20 Reprint Request online form
  • Transfer your I-20 to CBTS
    • Get accepted at Central Seminary (CBTS) (Apply Now)
    • Submit your Admission Letter & Foreign Student Advisor Report to your current school
    • After the completed Foreign Student Advisor Report gets sent to CBTS & your I-20 released by your current school, you will be required to register for full time at CBTS to maintain your VISA.
  • Transfer your I-20 out of CBTS
    • Get accepted to another SEVP certified school
    • Submit your new Admission Letter and any other documents required by your new school to CBTS
    • Submit an F-1 SEVIS Transfer Out Request form to indicate your transfer & to drop your remaining courses
  • Obtain a F-1 VISA from out of the U.S.
    • Get accepted at CBTS (Apply Now)
    • Receive CBTS I-20 and admission letter for submission to your consulate or embassy in the U.S. (Click here for Embassy Links) & wait to receive your F-1 VISA.
    • When you receive your F-1 VISA, please note your program start date; you are allowed entrance to the U.S. 30 days or less before your program start date.
    • After you arrive in the U.S., please notify CBTS of your arrival and complete the following:
      • Submit your most recent I-94 to CBTS
      • Submit a copy of your approved VISA and Passport to CBTS
      • Inform CBTS of your address in the U.S.
      • Enroll for full time at CBTS
  • Reinstatement
    • After your I-20 gets terminated (when you fail to maintain your F-1 Status, or due to no fault of your own), you have two options to regain your F-1 Status:
      • Depart the U.S. and receive a new I-20 (see ‘Obtain a F-1 VISA from out of the U.S.’ above) *no guarantee of approval*
      • Apply for reinstatement while staying in the U.S.


  • It is a good idea to have a plan for after you complete your program. Here are some of the options you have:
    • Apply for Post-Completion OPT (see Employment section below)
    • Apply and be admitted to another program at CBTS
    • Be admitted and transfer to another institution in the U.S.
    • Depart the U.S. (grace period is 60 days after your degree completion or OPT completion)
    • Apply & receive approval for change of status from USCIS (Click Here)


The employment opportunities for F-1 visa holders is restricted. Working without prior authorization is not allowed. Here are the employment options for international students:

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram