Central Seminary has a long and rich history of educating persons from all over the world. Our international students enrich our learning community with compelling stories of faith and leadership.
Information and Resources for International Students (F-1 Visa)
Welcome to the Central’s International Students page. Here, you will find forms, links, and information to guide and advise you during your studies at Central.
NOTE: All forms and documents can be submitted to the International Student Office by using the contact form below.
Here are some online forms for our current F-1 VISA Students:
Current students can also find many more forms related to enrollment status in the Populi student information system.
- Maintain Your Status
- Study in the States
- Need to be enrolled for full time each term
- At least 66% of the full time credit needs to be face-to-face (not online) courses
- *RCL option (Request for Reduced Course Load)
- NOTE: your I-20 needs to be activated at the beginning of every term (after your registration is verified)
- Before each travel outside of the U.S.
- THINGS TO NOTE to maintain your status:
- DO register as a full time student each term
- DO keep your passport & I-20 valid
- DO report any changes to CBTS WITHIN 10 DAYS
- Address Changes
- Academic Changes
- Finance Changes
- Name Changes
- Dependent(F-2) Changes
- DO NOT work on-campus or off-campus without authorization from the CBTS International Student Office (see Employment section below)
The I-20 is a US government document that verifies your status as a student at a school in the US. It must be updated anytime there are changes to your information and enrollment status. The I-20 is required for visa appointment and should be kept with the student at all times.
- I-20 Reprint Request online form
- Transfer your I-20 to CBTS
- Get accepted at Central Seminary (CBTS) (Apply Now)
- Submit your Admission Letter & Foreign Student Advisor Report to your current school
- After the completed Foreign Student Advisor Report gets sent to CBTS & your I-20 released by your current school, you will be required to register for full time at CBTS to maintain your VISA.
- Transfer your I-20 out of CBTS
- Get accepted to another SEVP certified school
- Submit your new Admission Letter and any other documents required by your new school to CBTS
- Submit an F-1 SEVIS Transfer Out Request form to indicate your transfer & to drop your remaining courses
- Obtain a F-1 VISA from out of the U.S.
- Get accepted at CBTS (Apply Now)
- Receive CBTS I-20 and admission letter for submission to your consulate or embassy in the U.S. (Click here for Embassy Links) & wait to receive your F-1 VISA.
- When you receive your F-1 VISA, please note your program start date; you are allowed entrance to the U.S. 30 days or less before your program start date.
- After you arrive in the U.S., please notify CBTS of your arrival and complete the following:
- Submit your most recent I-94 to CBTS
- Submit a copy of your approved VISA and Passport to CBTS
- Inform CBTS of your address in the U.S.
- Enroll for full time at CBTS
- After your I-20 gets terminated (when you fail to maintain your F-1 Status, or due to no fault of your own), you have two options to regain your F-1 Status:
- Depart the U.S. and receive a new I-20 (see ‘Obtain a F-1 VISA from out of the U.S.’ above) *no guarantee of approval*
- Apply for reinstatement while staying in the U.S.
- It is a good idea to have a plan for after you complete your program. Here are some of the options you have:
- Apply for Post-Completion OPT (see Employment section below)
- Apply and be admitted to another program at CBTS
- Be admitted and transfer to another institution in the U.S.
- Depart the U.S. (grace period is 60 days after your degree completion or OPT completion)
- Apply & receive approval for change of status from USCIS (Click Here)
The employment opportunities for F-1 visa holders is restricted. Working without prior authorization is not allowed. Here are the employment options for international students:
- OPT (Optional Practical Training)
- Contact ISO@cbts.edu for more information
- Here are some OPT documents for our current F-1 VISA Students:
- Things to Note:
- CPT (Curricular Practical Training)
- Complete the form below for more information
- Here are some CPT documents for our current F-1 VISA Students:
- Entrepreneurship (as an International Student)
- Entrepreneurship is NOT allowed for F-1 VISA holders
- Off-Campus Employment
- Available to F-1 students who:
- completed at least one full academic year of their program study
- have an economic hardship
- Complete the form below for more information
- On-Campus Employment
- Active F-1 students may apply for on-campus employment up to 30 days before the start of classes
- You may work less than 20 hours per week when school is in session
- Use the contact form below to get more information